3.01.2010

i scream you scream we all scream for.. vocal jazz?

i attended the swcc vocal jazz festival in creston, ia (my old digs) this past weekend. i begrudgingly forked over my thirty hard-earned bucks for admittance to the evening concert, thinking to myself "well self, at least you're supporting the efforts of your buddy jeremy."

the show started with the r&b a cappella group audio radiance. i sang in this group WAY back in the day, when i would actually sing in public. they did some cool stuff, including "what is hip" by tower of power, featuring my teacher jason on vocal percussion. it was a blast to the memory bank hearing this group, remembering all of the gratifying experiences of that group of friends.

next was the premiere vj (an abbreviation i should probably quit using) group first take. they sang both with & without a rhythm section, sounding wonderful on the take 6 chart "goldmine". i felt old hearing audio radiance sing charts i did an unmentionable number of years ago, but felt ancient when i saw alec & allison smith singing their rear ends off in first take. i used to put gold stars on the bathroom door for 'little man' when he went in the potty, and would pick up allison for preschool.

one of the professional groups (to whom i assume i am helping sponsor with my ticket dinero) was m-pact. i saw some youtube (wow, youtube didn't get underlined in this document - is it a real word now?) footage of them and was frightened by the cheese factor in their show. however, live, they were actually pretty happening. did i love the tunes? not really. did i dig the all men a cappella idea? no again. what i impressed by their musicianship? yes ma'am.

what struck me during this concert was the excitement level generated by both the performers and the crowd. the singers were making eye contact with the general audience and each other while singing. m-pact had that shit down pat. and for each of the groups, there was an abundance of hoots and hollers throughout their songs. i must admit that the energy was getting to me too, helping me enjoy the set that much more. and it was genuine joy and ecstasy being yelped by the crowd, not some artificial stuff that is meant to facilitate the vibe or get your voice on the live recording. folks dug it, which got me thinking...

how can i generate excitement like that with my own music? in jazz, i think we have this mentality of -sit back, observe, applaud after solos, again at the end of the tune, think of something profound to say about the music to the guy next to you at the set break- i don't know that i necessarily want people yelling and screaming during my tunes, but i don't want folks to fall asleep while putting their time in at a live music event. the number of jazz & creative improvising groups that provide an entertainment value that could elicit cries of passion is nearly zero. some artists that get people excited are happy apple (a band that couples great playing with quirky stories) and matt wilson quartet (a band that blends accessible music with hilarious stage antics). i try to provide some of that in my act, but am frightened at the prospect of inching across the "line".

my tone-deaf dad judges my concerts as a success based upon the look on my face during the gig. my kids enjoy concerts that are fun to be at. my friends like it when i tell funny stories or try to save myself after telling a bomb joke. the vibe of positivity and humor and fun really illuminates high art. i need to remember that...

No comments:

Post a Comment