2.27.2011

don't give the end away



i remember reading an interview with tim berne back in college.  (i was looking for a magic recipe to great music making.)  the journalist asked what kind of music did he usually go to for inspiration.  berne answered that, instead of listening to a bunch of music, he liked to watch movies.

well, somebody text tim and tell him i finally took his advice.  this year to date, i have seen FIVE movies, a number that usually matches if not exceeds my annual movie viewings. i have just realized that movies really turn my crank.  i appreciate the magnitude of doing a full project.  i used to stay involved in musicals and theatrical productions just for the high i got from opening night, not because i enjoyed the medium.  i am fascinated by the detail and thoughtfulness put into filmmaking.  the cinematography, the editing, the colors, the soundtrack.  i like hearing how records are recorded, mixed, and programmed.

movies take me out of my box.  they make me think about my craft, the process, and get me considering the subject matter. music rearranges my headspace, sometimes challenging me while other times comforting me.  for some reason, i am proud of myself that i can block out a couple hours and commit to watching a film.  i periodically need some nudging to sit and listen or watch some music, and am equally gratified that i make the effort to give my undivided attention to an album.

enduring and experiencing an artistic venture from beginning to end is crucial towards my personal development.  when i perform, i consider the complete period of time as equal parts in my process.  all of my preparation, instantaneous choices, and forward thinking momentum play into the final result. acknowledging all of the patience and energy required to see a film to its fruition is enough motivation to fuel my fire.

thanks to Black Swan, The Social Network, Date Night, The Kids Are All Right, and 127 Hours (my personal favorite).

No comments:

Post a Comment