3.09.2011

eighty one

i remember the first time i ever heard ornette coleman.  i was new to iowa city, having moved there for round one of my undergraduate studies.  i was in the ped mall late one fall evening, and checked into a record store that came highly recommended.  i'm not sure i was really into buying music during that period of my life, but i was okay with acting like i did.  i stepped into Real Records and immediately heard some music that captured my complete attention.  they were playing tone dialing by ornette and prime time, which is now one of my favorite albums.  the joy in his sound, the swirling tonalities, the rhythmic colors, the freshness...



i finally saw ornette in concert a couple of years ago.  i went to dancing in my head, a new music festival in minneapolis at the walker art institute.  it was open seating, so i snagged a third row seat by myself around 5:00.  the music had been happening for a while when i got there, and was scheduled to go until about midnight.  i was planning to see some stuff and then hook up with my friend nick lemme (from spaghetti western string company) to crash at his place.  i sat there until about 11:00, watching all sorts of creative stuff.  my butt was getting sore, my bladder was screaming, and my ears were getting worn out.  there was one more band scheduled - the bang on a can all stars.  i had seen this wonderful ensemble a couple of times, so i was fixing to split.  the emcee then announced that they were doing all ornette tunes, and would be joined by the man himself.

oh boy did i have to pee, but there was no way that i was leaving my seat.  he came out with his trademark hat, wearing a white suit and playing a white alto saxophone.  it was unbelievable.  he sounded so beautiful, and the band was killing.  i stayed until about 2:00 in the morning, and called nick the second i got to the parking lot.  he was cool about me being late - he understood.

other records i like by ornette include Song X, Skies of America, The Shape of Jazz to Come, This Is Our Music, Free Jazz, the Complete Science Fiction Sessions, The Empty Foxhole, New York is Now, Colors, and Sound Museum.

happy birthday ornette, and thanks...

No comments:

Post a Comment